Monday, June 9, 2014

The Final Countdown

It's the Final Countdown. One month until our July 9th Due Date. One month until it all changes. As Coach Kilmer might have once said, "One month for the rest of our lives" (though, I'm sure Mox would have disagreed with him). Jenna and I have one month until our little bundle of joy comes screaming into this beautiful world. One month until we see our little son or daughter for the first time without the help of FaceTime. There is a lot to think about over the next month. 

We, of course, still have a handful of things to prepare. We want to figure out how the stroller works. We'll need to get the car seat bases nailed into our car (or glued... I'm not entirely sure). Aside from those necessities, the long manifest of daunting tasks that we had a few months ago has slowly dwindled to a small list of remaining items. It seems that I'm not longer anxious about being prepared for the baby (which is a relief). I think I'm just anxious about what being a father is all about. I assume that this new job and promotion in my life will suit me well; but who is to know for sure? That's what has been floating around my mind for the last several weeks.

I keep noticing the little things that I feel will change when our new roommate moves in. The "hey, let's just get up and go" mentality that Jenna and I have had... oh, the entirety of our lives may need to be hedged just a bit. We're going to need to reign things in until we get this whole "kid deal" organized. 

There is a certain level of anxiety that comes along with all life changes (good or bad). This particular life change is good (unless...); nevertheless, the anxiety doesn't feel any different. It's pretty obvious that a child changes your life. I'm anxious about how will change. Will I be able to adapt to this entirely new lifestyle? 

I'm hopeful that I will. I'm also pretty sure that it may take some time. There is always the chance that it may take A LOT of time. Just like in any new job that I've held throughout the years, I hate the "what am I doing here?" phase and want to get to the "Oh, I'll answer that for you" phase as quickly as possible. On-the-job training begins in one month. "One month for the rest of our lives" (To again botch a Kilmer quote). 

No comments:

Post a Comment