Monday, July 21, 2014

Critical Error

The miracle of child birth and all of the joys in raising a child have already taught me so much. No lesson rings as loud and clear as my bitter discovery of a tragic flaw in the human design. It has been made overwhelmingly clear that tending to the needs of a newborn is a 24 hour job. You're always on the clock. Frankly, I do find happiness in all my interactions with Teddy regardless of the hour. Time for a 3am feeding? Sure. Dad and Teddy together for some solid face-time.

My catastrophic discovery is that a human can only reach 100% sleep. There is a limit to how much sleep a human being can gather to refuel, heal and recharge. Once 100% sleep is reached, no additional sleep is gathered for a surplus of sleep. Once you snooze to 100%, that's it. Unfortunately, there is a limitless amount of Sleep-Debt that a human can enter into.

In the months leading up to Teddy's tap dance into the non-womb World, I heard the same dumb advice over and over again: Get all the sleep you can before the baby comes! In hindsight, this is aggravating. The human design has not afforded us a sleep repository where sleep can be stored. We are unable to tap this sleep repository when our sleep runs low. It just doesn't work that way.

Admittedly, this isn't an obvious and glaring error in human design. This certainly is no exhaust vent which leads directly to the reactor core. This is more of an oversight during creation. I liken this to the Death Star only being designed to defend against, say, 50 Rebel Fighters. While in reality, the Death Star may need to defend against hundreds of Rebel Fights. This oversight is the equivalent to building a long trench which leads everyone - who is interested - directly to your weak spot.

I find myself day-dreaming of a Scrooge McDuck sized vault of sleep stores that I can dive into headfirst. Alas, I realize this is only a dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment