Thursday, March 13, 2014

Gettin' Daps from the Little One

Last night my wife and I were sitting in our loft watching a recording of ABC's The Bachelor. In routine fashion when The Bachelor is on TV, I was on my iPad playing games while halfheartedly listening to Juan Pablo force himself onto naive contestants. It's amazing how quickly things spiraled out of control for this idiot. He's not only become one of the most hated men in TV; but I'm not entirely certain that he even realizes that he's being filmed. There's a vacant look in his eyes and an extremely casual attitude of indifference toward each of the women. Chris Harrison is currently hosting a dumpster fire.

During this appointment, edge-of-your-seat television Jenna reaches quickly for the remote and pauses the show. "Come here" she says calmly. I put down my iPad and slid over to her side of the sectional. Jenna took my hand and pressed it against her tummy. My palm was just under her belly button. We sat there in silence for a few moments.

"Did you feel that?!" Jenna asked me.

"Uhhh, I don't think so. Wait. Did the baby just move around?" I replied.

 Jenna pressed my palm harder into her tummy. We sat there quietly for a couple of minutes. Jenna took a sip of her ice water hoping that the cool splash would get the baby to dance again. After a little longer, I felt ... something. It's hard to describe. The movement wasn't quite a 'flutter'. The baby didn't brush my hand. I suppose the most realistic and best way to describe the feeling would be:

My child high-fived me!

What an amazing feeling. I'm really looking forward to the baby getting bigger and stronger so that they can really lay a pre-birth high-five on me. Exciting times. Very exciting times.

On a closing note: I just realized the endless World of possibilities that I have for a secret handshake with my baby. We'll literally have a life-time to work on the coolest secret handshake around. How many months old does the baby have to be to remember a secret handshake? I'll probably have to do some research on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment